Monday, March 3, 2014

DIY: Ribbon Roses!

 

Since I'm getting married in April, I'm going to need bouquets. But I didn't want to go with real flowers because that stuff is expensive. Ain't nobody got cash for that! Plus, I didn't want to go for fake flowers because they're kind of corny looking, and I wanted my bouquets to look unique. I don't want them to look like everyone else's.

I don't want to say it, but I might be a hipster.

Anyway, I got the idea to make fabric bouquets from a friend who had made ribbon roses for her wedding. I loooved the idea! After a few tries, I was addicted! They're so classy, and super cute. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to make these and can be turned into a necklace, a hair clip or other hair accessory, or you can use them like I am and put them in a bouquet. They look like the real thing and they last forever.

Materials:

  • 1 roll of 1 1/2 inch ribbon
  • Scissors
  • A lighter
  • Hot glue gun

 Step 1

Cut a strip of ribbon 20-30 inches long, depending on what size rose you want. For me, 25 inches was just the right size. Burn the ends with your lighter, so it doesn't fray.

 

 

Step 2

Fold just the end in half and line it with hot glue.






Step 3

Roll up into the hot glue loosely. Be very gentle with it, so it doesn't come out too tight. Try it without glue a few times until you get the results you like.





Step 4

Fold the long piece under and tack it loosely with some glue on the lower part of your flower. Tacking it loosely will create the illusion of full petals in bloom. Continue doing this for the whole length of ribbon.

Step 5

Once you get 2-3 inches away from the end, fold it in half and tack it with hot glue. Then fold it backwards again to create one last petal. Glue the end on or near the middle of the bottom.

Tack up any loose petals and you're finished! Congrats! You have made a ribbon rose!


What are you going to use this tutorial for? Necklaces, headbands, bouquets? Show me your creative ideas and finished roses in the comments! I will feature my favorites in a Feature Friday post. Or if you have any questions or requests, feel free to leave those in a comment as well, or send them to my Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or E-mail, which you can find all of on my sidebar!

xo Link

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This look AMAZING I love the whole idea!
    It looks a little tricky, but I definitely want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Catalina! It is a little tricky, but with a little bit of practice, it seriously becomes the classiest, easiest project to do. Let me know if you have any questions!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik