Thursday, January 1, 2015

Crochet: Slouchy Summer Hat

This has to be one of my favorite hats I have made so far. This is SUCH a cute hat and one I am so proud of. I plan to make at LEAST 2 more for myself and my mom. I think the color I used helped as well.


I used a pattern from Ravelry found here. This pattern was actually really easy and worked up really fast. I love the textures on it and love that it's not too thick. It's definitely a perfect hat for summer.

I did do things a bit different with this hat. For Rows 5, 11 and 12, I did a pattern on and off of BLO. Row 5 was BLO, row 11 was normal, and row 12 was BLO again. When I finished row 14, I realized it wasn't slouchy enough (the gauge was being weird) so I repeated rows 8-14 until I was satisfied with the slouch and did row 15 in the opposite of the previous row. (depending on if it was BLO or not)
Halfway through the pattern, I realized it also required knitting. Which I cannot do. (yet) So instead of knitting the headband, once I was done making the main part of the hat, I chained 11 and did 10 dc in BLO and ch 1 until it was long enough to stretch around my whole head, then with the hat inside out, I used sc to stitch it to the hat. I'm sure it would work just as good (if not better) with a sl st as well.Then I just finished it in my preferred way and wove in the ends.



I also ended up making a second hat which turned out better than the first. I unfortunately can't remember what I did differently, but I didn't have to repeat any rows. I didn't realize that until I was done though, because it turned out too slouchy and I have to fold the band back in order for it to not look like a fashionable hair net.

This hat is perfect for people who are beginners with knowledge of the basic three stitches. It's simple, but looks fantastic. I recommend you give it a try!

xo Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik